Chiropractic has always been about potential.
From its inception and throughout its development it has championed that message, and through its art it has delivered on that promise for those fortunate enough to have become acquainted with it.
However, as a profession we have barely scratched the surface of our potential.
So what’s stopping us?
The answer is clearly ourselves.
We are the Problem
It’s not the AMA. It’s not the Rockerfellers. It’s not Big Pharma. It’s not even the Cartel that has wrestled control of the profession.
Yes. We are clearly to blame.
- We have followed leaders with their eye on third party pay and second-rate acceptance.
- We have blindly followed stage philosophers and marketing gurus.
- We have allowed our colleges to be ransacked by administrators who have made them their personal piggybanks.
- We have sacrificed our technique and message for multi-level marketing, lasers, fad diets and anything else that can make a buck.
- We have devalued our product through gimmicks and Groupons.
- We have been so busy fighting other professions and health topics that we have sabotaged our effectiveness in sharing who we are, why we are unique and what our true value to humanity really is.
- We have neglected our obligation to contribute to and support research that objectively demonstrates our value to mankind.
We have failed ourselves and we are all to blame in some way or another.
So were do we go from here?
The answer is simple.
We go back to what works, we stop doing what doesn’t and we go towards what will propel us forward.
- What works is the proper application of our art.
- What works are sound and ethical business practices that support the chiropractor and build value for our service.
- What works is the crafting of a message in a way and in a voice that the various segments of society can understand and are compelled to act upon.
- What works is building infrastructure instead of binging on all the excess.
- What does not work is the substandard education from our colleges.
- What does not work is the abuse of new graduates.
- What does not work is pandering to third-party payers and politicians at the expense of our message and service.
- What does not work is attempting to prance around like primary care physicians without the training, authority or market to do so.
- What does not work is placing our heads in the sand and expecting someone else to get the jobs done.
What Will Move us Forward
- What will propel us forward is the ability to teach chiropractic to our students.
- What will propel us forward is the teaching of sound business, practice management and marketing strategies.
- What will propel us forward are alliances with the medical community and their allied support groups in which we demonstrate the value of our unique service.
- What will propel us forward is an effective strategy to increase global utilization of chiropractic within a model that is congruent with chiropractic.
- What will propel us forward is a research agenda centered around the vertebral subluxation.
What does the Forecast Say?
So what does the future hold for this profession in chaos and on the brink of implosion?
The future is bright for chiropractic.
All of the items above are coming to fruition. Some closer than others but the spark of intelligence has been lit and the creative process and driving force necessary for their realization are underway.
How quickly it comes about will depend on how many are willing to donate their time and money to each.
Where will you enter the equation?
Steve Tullius, D.C., ACP
Latest posts by Steve Tullius, D.C., ACP (see all)
- Mental Health Matters: Public Education and Practice Building Program - June 30, 2017
- Workshop Waitlist Series - May 13, 2017
- What is the Black Diamond Club? - January 9, 2017
- Unraveling Neurodevelopmental Disorders: Pediatric Practice Building Program - October 24, 2016